Rae-San HALL TAI Ignition Module
This Ignition module uses the new generic GENERATION 4 ignition module.
- HALL Pickup
- This uses a supplied HALL pickup and rotor with magnet to generate the trigger pulses which are then fed to the controller process and use for dwell and advance calculation.
- The Hall pickup replaces the original points based or pulser based plate to provide an adjustment free timing generation system with program-ability.
- The existing mechanical advance rotor is reused with a new rotor “cam” that contains the magnet to trigger the hall sensors.
- The centrifugal advance is defeated by removing the springs and weights and putting the new rotor cap on and locking it into place.
- No permanent modifications to the advancer are required – so conversion back to stock is always possible.
- Wires are supplied to make the connections to the coils
- Optionally the unit can come with an ignition power relay already wired ready to be plugged in.
The GEN 3 module comes in a water resistant aluminium enclosure with o-ringed screws. The case is used for a heatsink for the coil driver MOSFETS and as the GROUND connection for the coil current.
Undoing the four screws allows the lid to be lifted and access to the diagnostic LEDS for timing trigger and coil firing, as well as two jumpers that allow selection of 1 of 4 timing advance curves to be applied.
The GEN 4 module provides for all bikes
- Designed to Drive coils from 2-4 ohms
- 3 ohm Dyna / Accel or similar coils
- OEM 2.6 ohm coils
- OEM 4 ohm coils
- Dwell is between 4 – 6 ms – nominally 4.5 – 5 ms providing plenty of spark energy.
- Dwell is extended during Cranking
- Firing is Delayed during cranking to provide extra retard to the timing to make starting easier and avoid kick back loads on the starter gear for longer life and easier starting.
- Coil isn’t fired until first two – three revolutions. This allows the engine to spin up to better speed before spark is applied making for easier starting and less stress on the engine. It additionally prevents accidental spark at switch on from occurring should the engine have stopped in a “triggered” position.
- Ability to drive through the LS2 Adapter to LS2 style “electronic” coils.
- Re programmable – for different curves, software update or to suit different bike.
- Each module is programmed to suit the bike in question, with a set of 4 timing curves, usually the advance profile is kept relatively standard but increased rev limits are available.
- Customised curve requirements can be catered for.
- Plug and play to the existing wiring harness.
Currently hall plates have been done for
CX 500 and 650
CB550,650,750,900,1000,1100 – SOHC and DOHC
most bikes are fairly standard in the timing plate size so its likely that one of the above will
be able to fit, if not I’m happy to add it in.
3 ohm coils are the optimal choice for the TAI 12 volt style ignitions here –
however it doesn’t make much sense to ship them from China to Australia and then back out to the majority of customers in the US, not with shipping charges and taxes.
It makes more sense for US customers in particular to obtain them locally –
I’m evaluating a number of coil and COP options -as they come up – you can check them out in detail here.
The best priced option Ive found is from 2fastmoto.com.
Single Output (for twins)
Dual Output ( for 4 cyl)
These are great – but need some work to position and leads to suit
These work well and fit in the standard location – and come with leads.
DO NOT USE the AB7030 coil available through Wemoto – this is incorrectly listed agaist a numvber of bikes and is a CDI coil.
The Correct Coil should be a AF1759 but as yet Ive not had any to verify.
The TAI coil appears to have two terminals opposite one another – the CDI has them at 90 degrees to each other.